[EM] Losing Votes (equal-ranking whole)

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sat Jun 1 02:28:14 PDT 2019

Toby,

I didn't coin the Plurality criterion, and I do somewhat prefer your
suggested alternative wording. To take account of equal-top ranking being
allowed, I would specify the fractional interpretation of "number of
ballots ranking A as the first preference".  The original coiner of the
criterion
was operating on the assumption that no  equal-ranking would be allowed
(except at the bottom implied by truncation which would be allowed)
and perhaps also that no-one would needlessly mark a candidate strictly
bottom when they could just truncate.

I think in part the criterion is tailor-made for voters accustomed to
and content with plurality voting, and after some new election on ballots
that allow voters to rank the candidates is used, they want to know why
B won while their favourite candidate A was voted (alone) in first place
on more ballots than B was voted above bottom. And I like the criterion
because I agree that there can't be a good enough answer.

A standard  (and possible criterion) I like says that if  A  both
positionally dominates and pairwise beats B then B can't win. That
implies Plurality.

35: A
10: A=B
30: B>C
25: C

Here no ballots vote A or B below equal-top. A has more top (or first)
place votes than B so positionally dominates and pairwise beats B.
Do you think B is an acceptable winner?

Chris Benham

---
https://www.avg.com