[EM] Instant Pairwise Elimination (IPE) vote-counting method

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Sun Jan 13 16:55:45 PST 2019

Based on Kristofer's feedback (below), here are the criteria that I
suspect the Instant Pairwise Elimination (IPE) method fails:

Majority: fail
Majority loser: fail
Mutual majority: fail
Condorcet: fail
Smith/ISDA: fail
LIIA: fail
IIA: fail
Cloneproof: fail
Monotone: fail
Consistency: fail
Reversal symmetry: fail
Later no harm: fail
Later no help: fail
Burying: fail

I'm guessing that IPE fails these criteria:

Participation: fail ?
No favorite betrayal: fail ?

Of course IPE passes these criteria:

Ranks equal: pass
Ranks greater than 2: pass
Polytime/resolvable: pass/pass

I'm guessing that IPE passes this criterion:

Condorcet loser: pass ?

And here's my guess about summability:

Summable: O(N!) ?

On the surface, these characteristics do not look promising ...

... yet I'll say once again that what really matters is HOW OFTEN a
method complies with the criteria. When we have that data we can more
meaningfully compare different voting methods -- beyond just looking at
checklists.

In fact, this topic, which I would call "Compliance Frequency," is being
discussed on Reddit, with my suggestions at the following link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EndFPTP/comments/afc9mm/quantifying_criteria_failure_rates/edy8gyh

I had intended to post these compliance-frequency suggestions here on
this mailing list, but I seldom have time to write
election-method-reform messages while at my PC, whereas I can type
Reddit responses on my iPad while eating a meal.

Again, thank you Kristofer for your very useful feedback! (And no I had
not already figured out the details that you clarified.)

Again, thanks to all for considering this suggested method. I'm assuming
from the lack of criticism that the method is not as seriously flawed as
IRV, which means it deserves attention as an alternative when a city
considers adopting something better than plurality voting.

My next question is whether anyone wants to put the IPE method on the
Electrowiki (or Electorama) site? (I tried using my login info from long
ago, but with no success.) I can supply edited text if that's helpful.
In advance, thanks!

Richard Fobes