[EM] Instant Pairwise Elimination (IPE) vote-counting method

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Sat Jan 12 19:44:20 PST 2019

Here's a suggestion for an easy-to-understand vote-counting method that
produces very fair results for single-seat elections:

Voters rank the candidates using up to 7 ranking levels (or 5 ranking
levels if ovals are marked on a paper ballot and space is limited).
During counting, each elimination round eliminates the candidate who
loses every pairwise contest against every other remaining candidate.
If an elimination round has no pairwise-losing candidate then, for that
round, each ballot gives one count to the lowest-ranked remaining
candidate on that ballot, and the candidate with the highest such count
is eliminated.  The last remaining candidate wins.

Unless someone recognizes it as having a different name, I suggest
calling it Instant Pairwise Elimination (IPE).  The word "instant"
indicates that this method is similar to instant-runoff voting (IRV) in
the sense of "instantly" doing multiple elimination rounds.  The word
"pairwise" makes it clear that the eliminations use pairwise counting,
rather than the less-fair counting method used in IRV.

This is a hybrid of Condorcet-loser elimination and the Coombs method.
For fun, someone on Reddit (u/jpfed) suggested calling it "Coombsdorcet".

This is not a Condorcet-compliant method!  A test has already found a
case where the IPE winner is not the Condorcet winner.  Also note that
the description does not introduce the word Condorcet, even though it
eliminates Condorcet losers.

I suggested it on Reddit in the r/EndFPTP subreddit because the
single-seat voting methods being discussed there most often are
approval, score, STAR, and IRV, which are easier to understand than
Condorcet methods, but they have one or both of these disadvantages:

* Quite vulnerable to tactical/strategic voting

* Do not work in situations that involve general/runoff elections

The IPE method seems to be easier to explain to typical
(non-math-oriented) voters than any of the Condorcet methods (including
my favorite, the Condorcet-Kemeny method), yet it comes close to
providing the fairness of Condorcet methods.

The inspiration for this method is the relative success of the STAR
method, which is a hybrid of score and runoff.

Based on the surprisingly favorable response on Reddit, apparently most
voters are more trusting of a method that eliminates one candidate at a
time in a way they understand.  This contrasts with Condorcet methods,
which can identify the winner just by "looking at" a table of pairwise
counts.

Also, explicitly identifying "losers," and identifying them one at a
time, seems to be emotionally appealing to voters.  Perhaps this is part
of why IRV is seen as appealing.

Yes, this method is vulnerable to the burial tactic, at least from the
voter's perspective.  Yet when voting methods finally get measured for
HOW OFTEN each method fails each fairness criterion, I suspect that this
burial-criterion failure will not affect the results often enough to be
significant, especially compared to IRV’s frequent fairness-criteria
failures.

In fact, the method may appeal to some voters because it will give them
the emotional satisfaction of burying "enemy" politicians.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that -- unlike IRV -- use
of the IPE method would enable polling places to start by sending their
pairwise counts to the central counting location, and the winner can be
identified quickly in most(?) cases.  Of course some elections
(especially if they are highly competitive) will require more ballot
data to be sent to the central counting location before a winner can be
calculated.  In elections that involve lots of candidates, the original
pairwise counts might clarify the elimination sequence for the
less-popular candidates, which would reduce the amount of ballot data
that needs to be sent quickly to determine the winner.  By contrast, IRV
needs almost all the raw ballot data, and the full ranking data with
lots of candidates does not lend itself to being compressed or summarized.

According to u/Chackoony, this method is "sexier" than some other
methods, and he says: "The future is RIPE for IPE!"

Please share your feedback about IPE, either positive or negative (or
both).  Thanks!

Richard Fobes
Author of
Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections