[EM] Condorcet/Score

Magosányi Árpád m4gw4s at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 00:36:19 PST 2019

I am thinking about similar lines. The preferential voting methods
undoubtedly have a presentation problem: it is hard to sort a lot of
candidates, especially on paper.
Cumulative/approval voting is easily presented, and can be used to give
preferences (at least partially).
I would throw the following into the mix however:
- to avoid the effect tht rage voting reduces to plural voting when voters
vote fully tactically (I know, that IRL they do not. not all, and not yet),
I would use cumulative vote
- to handle not just the positive preferences, but also the negative ones,
I would allow for negative votes.

So the ballot would look like:

Please distribute at most 6 marks at likes, and at most 1 mark at dislike..
likes  candidate   dislike
OOO candidate 1 O
OOO candidate 2 O
OOO candidate 3 O

the overall number of likes would be sum(1 to n) where n is the max likes
per one candidate, and n < number of candidates.
number of dislikes would be similar, with n << number of candidates,
probably only one.

This would be useable o reconstruct a partial preference. My suspicion is
that psychology could prove that what someone actually knows for sure (if
anything) is whom they prefer most and whom they dislike most), so not much
information actually lost.
Using the preferences, a Condorcet method can be run.