[EM] VoteFair Ranking software version 6.0 in C++ with MIT license

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Wed Dec 18 02:04:50 PST 2019

On 16/12/2019 07.42, VoteFair wrote:

> VoteFair calculations use pairwise counting to ensure especially fair
> results. Specifically, VoteFair popularity ranking is mathematically
> equivalent to the Condorcet-Kemeny method. Although some people dismiss
> this method as requiring too much computer time when there are lots of
> candidates, this software is very fast, even when there are 50 choices.

I can't help myself, but must point out again that I think it's more
accurate to say (if this is true), that VoteFair popularity ranking is
an approximation to Kemeny that becomes Kemeny in the limit as a certain
parameter approaches infinity.

I don't remember the name of the parameter; you probably do. But I
remember I found examples where Kemeny and your method disagreed for
elections with very large Smith sets. You said that you could always
increase the value of this parameter to get the correct result.

Unfortunately, letting that parameter approach infinity destroys
VoteFair's polynomial runtime. So VoteFair does not prove P=NP :-)