[EM] IRV vs RCV

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Sun Dec 15 22:02:40 PST 2019

I just edited the Wikipedia page named "Ranked voting" to clarify that
it refers to using ranked ballots.  That's an edit that was already
discussed on the "talk" page for that article.  Previously the article
almost looked like a promo for Ranked Choice voting.

I don't like FairVote using the name "Ranked Choice voting," yet
fighting that name seems wasteful.

Instead I tell people we needed "ranked ballots and pairwise counting."
That separation of ballot type from counting method seems to help people
understand that ranked ballots can be counted in more than one way --
which is a point that's now stated in the "Ranked voting" Wikipedia article.

The article still needs further work, such as filling in the Condorcet
section, so anyone is welcome to improve it.  (I'm juggling multiple
projects so I just fixed the biggest problem.)

Richard Fobes