[EM] Dumping election-methods Yahoo groups before the Dec 14 deadline

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Tue Dec 10 11:35:55 PST 2019

Yahoo is deleting all Yahoo groups on Dec. 14. Some groups have come up
on this list, and I've been archiving some of them. Others don't exist
any longer, or are restricted to members only.

If someone here is a member of one of these groups, that have been
mentioned on this list, could you use Yahoo's tools
(https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/getmydata) to download the messages of
that group?

(Some of them may not be election method-related, in which case just
ignore them. And if someone knows of more election-method related
groups, reply with their name :-)

ApprovalVoting
AR-NewsWI
AVFA
btpnc-talk
Condorcet
electionmethods
ElectionReformMI
Electoral_systems_designers
EmailList-Managers
EMIG-Wikipedia
instantrunoff
InstantRunoffCA
instantrunoff-freewheeling
InstantRunoffWI
KerryNader
narconews
narconewsandes
narconewsbrasil
politicians-and-polytopes
rangevoting
single-transferable-vote
stv-voting

I have already downloaded the messages of most of the above, but without
being a member, I can't get the full mail addresses of the members.

The following groups seem to have been restricted so non-members can't
even read them. If anyone is a member, it'd be good to have an archive
of these:

ApprovalVoting
Condorcet
ElectionReformMI
InstantRunoffCA
InstantRunoff

For the restricted groups, Yahoo's tools will download the messages.
https://github.com/IgnoredAmbience/yahoo-group-archiver will also
download files/attachments/etc.

There's another tool here: https://github.com/ArchiveTeam/yahoogroups-grab

but I haven't used it because it requires MongoDB and I don't have it
installed.

-km