[EM] Burlington VT reconsidering IRV 10 years after IRV failed to elect the Condorcet Winner

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 7 18:27:23 PST 2019

> Warren has written a bit about it here: https://rangevoting.org/BtrIrv.html
>
> (He states that every Condorcet method fails mono-add-top, which I don't
> think is true, but his example does show that BTR-IRV fails mono-add-top.)

All Smith methods fail mono-add-top, but  MinMax Margins meets both
Condorcet and mono-add-top.

(One of it's alternative algorithms is just elect the candidate who
needs the fewest extra bullet votes to
be the CW.)

But looking at that link I saw something different:
> Like IRV, it suffers from "add-top failure
> <https://rangevoting.org/AddTopFail.html>."

Of course IRV meets mono-add-top.  A candidate can only be eliminated by
having a shortage of top-rankings.
No ballot's lower rankings can have any bearing on the result until the
higher-ranked candidates have been
eliminated.

So if X is winning and then we add some ballots with X voted top, X
cannot possibly be harmed if the method
is IRV.

Chris Benham