[EM] Burlington VT reconsidering IRV 10 years after IRV failed to elect the Condorcet Winner

Greg Dennis greg.dennis at voterchoicema.org
Thu Dec 5 18:50:43 PST 2019

Agreed.

It seems like a bit of revisionist history to portray the cause of the
repeal to be the failure to elect the Condorcet candidate. As has been
noted, the repeal effort was led by the Republican Wright and his allies
who felt that he should have won because he had the most first choices.
Among the three leading candidates Wright was the Condorcet _loser_; his
supporters wanted a plurality result, a result even further removed from
any sense of majority. By electing Kiss, at least IRV chose a candidate in
the smallest mutual majority set.

Wright supporters didn't like the idea of a winner who in their mind "came
in second," and you wouldn't have placated them by electing someone who
(again, in their mind) "came in third." If anything, you probably would
have been in a more precarious political situation.

Let's also remember that there was _not_ widespread displeasure with the
result in the immediate aftermath of the election. The Republicans were not
happy, sure, but it was only after Kiss' Burlington Telecom scandal that
the broader public turned against him. Burlington lacked a mayoral recall
process, and Wright and his supporters were able to successfully make the
IRV repeal effort into a referendum on the mayor. It was an insincere but
savvy political hit job at a time where IRV was still perceived as new and
exotic to many.

For what it's worth, there have been about 250 IRV elections in the US
since San Francisco started using it in 2004, many of which were highly
contested between three or more candidates, and that Burlington 2009 race
remains the one and only one where the Condorcet candidate was not elected.
It seems to me that if you care about the Condorcet candidate winning, IRV
is a big step forward to that end.

Greg