[EM] Burlington VT reconsidering IRV 10 years after IRV failed to elect the Condorcet Winner

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 5 03:57:44 PST 2019

 I think the biggest problem with Schulze, more than that it is complicated to explain, is that you're basically asking people to take it on trust that it is even a method at all. From the Wikipedia article:
"It can be proven that {\displaystyle p[X,Y]>p[Y,X]} and {\displaystyle p[Y,Z]>p[Z,Y]} together imply {\displaystyle p[X,Z]>p[Z,X]}.[1]:§4.1 Therefore, it is guaranteed (1) that the above definition of "better" really defines a transitive relation and (2) that there is always at least one candidate {\displaystyle D} with {\displaystyle p[D,E]\geq p[E,D]} for every other candidate {\displaystyle E}."
"It can be proven". Well thanks. And also https://rangevoting.org/SchulzeComplic.html
"If the strongest path from L to W, is stronger than, or at least as strong as, the strongest path from W to L, and if this is simultaneously true for every L, then W is a "Schulze winner." Schulze proved the theorem that such a W always exists (at least using "margins"; I am confused re the "winning-votes" enhancement)."

Even less convincing.
I know I'm going a bit off-topic, but what is the estimated probability that Schulze and Ranked Pairs would give a different result in a real-life election? I'd be surprised if it was more than about 1 in 10,000, and where there was a different winner between them, neither winner would be so much obviously the "right" winner that it would cause protests in the streets if the other one were to win.