[EM] Burlington VT reconsidering IRV 10 years after IRV failed to elect the Condorcet Winner

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 18:50:31 PST 2019

Ok, I guess you need an easy to understand and clear (to make it acceptable in short time) alternative proposal that would address the problems of 2009. Here's one more possible wording (and resulting method) in addition to the already presented wordings and methods. It basically adds one more criterion in section (3). I however had to modify and rearrange the text quite a bit to fit that criterion (more or less) nicely in. Text in square brackets might or might not be included. You know better how much text is needed to make the proposal easy to understand.

(3) If no candidate receives a majority of first preferences, an instant runoff re-tabulation shall be performed by the presiding election officer. The instant runoff re-tabulation shall be conducted in rounds. In each round, if one of the continuing candidates is preferred [in the ranked ballots] over any other continuing candidate [more often than the other way around] [, when that candidate is compared to every other continuing candidate one by one], then that candidate will be elected. If there is no such candidate, each voter’s ballot shall count as a single vote for whichever continuing candidate the voter has ranked highest, and the candidate with the fewest votes shall be eliminated.

BR, Juho