[EM] Asset Voting vs. other methods

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Apr 23 20:33:30 PDT 2019

There is a very simple voting method that "voting systems" experts
commonly neglect, because it is not a "voting system" as in Arrow's
theorem, and neglecting this leads to no end of paradoxes and
unresolvable difficulties.

It is called majority rule, and the practical application is that no
decision is made democratically that has not been explicitly supported
by a majority of those voting (and then there are various rules that
deal with details.)

If one must determine a result from a single poll, a condition rejected
by Robert's Rules of Order unless absolutely necessary, then score
probably is best, but when we look at the real-world situations where
that requirement is established, the necessity is only a matter of
habit. Instead of submitting a complex question multiple-choice question
for direct vote, one could create an Asset electoral college to make
negotiation efficient by reducing the discussion group size. And the
Asset college could then use ordinary deliberative process to review all
possibities, and that college could use polling methods to speed up the
process, requiring a majority vote to create a decision.

Decisions actually approved by only a plurality are not democratic
decisions, not under Robert's Rules. They even consider a ballot with
any mark on it as valid, even if the intent cannot be deciphered. And if
a majoritiy of ballots don't approve a "winner," the election fails and
the whole process must be repeated. Not this "top two" bullshit.

Ultimately, the attempt to make "democracy" more efficient by
disregarding the requirement for a majority approval of a result sets up
a kind of fascism and has historically enabled serious, deep, and highly
destructive fascism. Yeah, but they made the trains run on time.

Until the full impact of disregarding basic democracy was felt, when
almost the whole society was demolished.

I have used score to make personal decisions. Ask a series of questions
about options, weight the questions according to importance, then sum
the utilities.

And if I don't like the result, I throw it out and do what I choose. We
do best with Yes/No decisions, because we can assess the relative merits
by affinity and aversion. Score, a brilliant polling method, can advise
us, but we are foolish if we let it deprive us of choice.

(I have seen approval used in an assembly with a very controversial
proposal to change what had been practice for decades. The status quo
probably had the firm support of two-thirds of those present. But when
the assembly saw that there was another proposal with unanimous minus
one support, only one disapproval, then the motion was made to change to
that. And it was unanimously approved.

That is how real democracy works, in a functional organization. There
was only one actual vote, on a single proposal, by an electorate
informed though discussion and polling.

We are so accustomed to the nonsense that passes for democracy in common
public elections, that we don't realize what is possible.