[EM] Tweaks to Asset Voting for multiwinner elections

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Apr 23 20:13:30 PDT 2019

I'll be brief. Asset is often not understood.

On 4/12/2019 10:10 PM, Michael Rouse wrote:

> Kicking around a few ideas here, but assuming you have a number of
> candidates running for a fixed but limited number of seats in a
> legislature, how about:
>

> 1. Require each candidate to publicly rank all other candidates in the
> race before the election.

In an Asset election "candidates" are actually candidates to be
electors. Most of them will not even intend to become "seats." Asset is
not a "race." There is no actual competition, only cooperation and
collaboration to create seats.

In a large public Asset election, as many as 1% of the electorate may be
willing to serve as electors, i.e., as public voters. So if the
electorate is a million people, the "candidates" would be required to
rank all 10,000 candidates? I don't think so.

Asset is terminally simple. It is actually negotiation and deliberation,
not aggregation, and to elect a seat simply requires the agreement of
electors who "transfer" a quota of votes. So all seats have the
*unanimous* approval, directly or indirectly, of a quota of voters.

*Unanimous?* Let that word sink in.

"Race" is language from politics that would become obsolete with Asset.
If I wanted to choose a proxy for some business purpose, what would I
think about someone "competing" for my choice?

Let me suggest that I would think that this person has some ulterior
motive and I would be unlikely to trust them. Yet we expect those who
represent us in public affairs to "run" for the office. And then we get
crazy results. Why are we surprised?

I'm leaving the rest, but this is all utterly unnecessary and would
break Asset if implemented.