[EM] Comprehensive, Simple, and Informative Indicative

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Apr 2 11:01:35 PDT 2019

This is all insightful. In a parliamentary setting, with a majority
required for any conclusion, voting on single issues Yes/No, works very
well, and problems can be fixed. (under standard rules, any member who
voted for the majority may move reconsideration, and it takes a majority
to reconsider, so, in theory, a change that would enjoy a majority will
be reconsidered. There would then be, with the original motion back on
the floor, a motion to amend, and then the majority decides which of two
versions is to become the motion under consideration.

This all can become more efficient if polling is used, which is
apparently what the British parliament is using. A final decision will
be put to a yes/no vote, with the poll having informed the members of
the support enjoyed by the various options, but they will not be limited
to them. Parliaments do not use top-two runoff! Nor should they.

Referring complex decisions to the public is a Bad Idea, in general. It
*seems* democratic, but, in fact, it empowers media and those who can
buy media. Rather, if we care about genuine democracy, government by
maximized consent, we would focus on electing representatives who are
trusted, and Asset with open ballots essentially elects seats with
*unanimity.* That seat was unanimously the choice of a quota of voters,
or those whom they voted for). Don't trust someone to represent you in
the process, don't vote for them! Don't trust anyone? I'd suggest
therapy, one has a social disorder.

Most of the complexity of voting theory is unnecessary. As a polling
method, score is simple and easily understood and canvassed. There may
be other forms that can be used, but this is often misunderstood. If a
decision is made that was approved by less than a majority, basic
democratic process has been lost. There is no problem if the methods are
used as polls, as advisory. And I have seen a majority position, that
would have prevailed in an initial vote (by maybe two-thirds!) reversed
after a simple approval poll, when those people saw that all members
(minus only one) approved a different choice. And when the
implementation vote was made on a motion to change to the
almost-universal choice, it passed. With unanimity.

We have very bad habits in politics, in aiming for our "favorite" to
win, instead of seeking what will make society function most efficiently
and least oppressively.

I agree that it would be the responsibility of Parliament to thoroughly
deliberate the issue, not to punt to the public. However, once
Parliament has maximized its own consensus, which can include generating
minority reports, and because there was a previous referendum, respect
for the public suggests then submitting Parliament's decision to a
second referendum. The second referendum could possibly present more
than one alternative, but not too many, and every option presented
should have majority support in Parliament! (The public can then reject
them all by voting no on all of them.)

Standard democratic practice: the status quo remains until explicitly
rejected and replaced by a majority. Someone else pointed out how
defective the Brexit referendum was. I agree.

We have very primitive ideas of what democracy can and should be.

On 4/1/2019 9:40 PM, Bob Richard wrote:

> Parliament's most conspicuous failure in this regard (in which they
> are joined by the entire press corps, as far as I know) is to treat a
> second referendum as it if were an alternative on a list of
> alternatives. The question whether to put a decision of Parliament to
> a confirmatory vote of the people is entirely separate from what
> decision Parliament should make. The questions are politically
> interrelated, in the sense that MPs on the losing end of a debate in
> Parliament are far more likely to call for a referendum than MPs who
> won that debate. (In fact, that's kind of what referenda are, at least
> in the United States.) But this relationship is no reason to include a
> such a confirmatory vote as an option in the current "indicative"
> voting process.

[...]