[EM] "Mutual Plurality" criterion suggestion

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 6 07:38:45 PDT 2018

Greg,

I'm glad you like my idea.

I'm sure the definition could be polished and/or made more succinct. At
the moment I don't have a strong view on your suggestion
on how that should be done. In general I don't mind the odd redundancy
if it makes it more likely that more people will understand it.

I won't be dying in a ditch for the "Mutual Plurality" name, but I think
your "Undefeated coalition" suggestion is a bit misleading
and vague.

It was conceived as an irrelevant-ballot independent version of Mutual
Majority, so I suppose it could be called "Irrelevant-Ballot
Independent Mutual Majority".  Another possible clumsy name: "Mutual
Dominant Relative Majority"?

> It's clear to me that the Smith set is always a subset of every
> "mutual plurality" set, right?

Yes, but of course there isn't always a "Mutual Plurality" set (or
subset) while there is always a Smith set.

Chris Benham