[EM] 2018 Chess Candidates Tournament

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Mar 27 13:45:51 PDT 2018

Subject: [EM] 2018 Chess Candidates Tournament

From: "Ross Hyman" <rahyman at sbcglobal.net>

Date: Tue, March 27, 2018 4:36 pm

To: "election-methods at lists.electorama.com" <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>

> The 2018 double round robin chess candidates tournament just ended. The matrix for the tournament is available here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidates_Tournament_2018

> Each of the 8 players plays every other player twice (once as white, once as black.)  A player get one point for a win, 1/2 point for a draw, and 0 points for a loss.  The winner, (Fabiano Caruna, who wins the right to play Magnus Carlson for the world championship, the first time a
U.S. player will compete for the championship since Bobby Fischer) is the player with the most points. (This is effectively Borda, I think.)

> The rank ordering using points:(using the name abbreviations from the Wikipedia martrix) :CAR > (MAM = KAR)> DIN > (KRA = GRI) > SO > ARO

> It is interesting to apply Condorcet to this matrix. I kept only those matrix elements with a decisive victory ( one victory and one draw or two victories), dropping everything else.  This produced a very sparse matrix with no cycles and the following Condorcet ranking.

> which makes Din Laren come in first and Caruna come in fourth.

so this looks like why condorcet is better than borda.
DIN lost to no one and beat everyone else at least once, right?   and everyone else has lost toe DIN at least once, right?

DIN looks like the champ to me.

r b-j                         rbj at audioimagination.com