[EM] RCV in SF Mayoral election

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Fri Jun 15 23:08:03 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org> wrote:

> I wrote Python code to parse the 'ballot image' and 'master lookup' files.
> https://github.com/brianolson/voteutil/blob/master/python/rcvToNameEq.py
>
> I have this exporting to www-cgi formatting like
> Alice=1&Bob=2&Carol=3

Cool, you're obviously a lot further along than I am.  I've got my own (as
yet unpublished) script for parsing out the ballot image files, but I don't
have my script doing any tallying yet.

I downloaded your voteutil code, ran rcvToNameEq against SF's report14
results, and then tried running that through countvotes.py, getting it to
cough up a matrix.  I don't want to say yet who my output shows as having
won a particular pairwise contest after parsing report14 (124004 to
105292), but it's kinda interesting (and probably a sign I need to debug
something rather than finding something truly interesting).

Rob