[EM] A simpler approval based way of replacing the CA jungle primary

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Wed Jul 18 22:20:31 PDT 2018

Thanks for the quick response!  I'll offer a quick response now, and
maybe a more detailed response later.

>From the perspective of coming up with a system that is a politically
viable choice for California in the near-ish term, my bias is toward a
system that picks exactly two candidates as a replacement for our
current top two.  Using your "LCR" notation, I'm mildly biased toward
a system that errs on the side of selecting "LR" rather than "LC",
since I think that a lot voters are more likely to find "LR" to be
more fair than "LC", even though there will be some cases where "C"
would be the winner of a one-round approval contest.  My fear is that
with "LC", the supporters of "R" are more likely to declare the system
unfair, and push for a repeal.

That said, you're right that it's best to allow three candidate to
advance in the (hopefully) rare case that the two candidate set
doesn't already include the approval winner.  If this proposal is done
as a replacement for the current top-two system, that just means we
have a three-way plurality race.  I haven't decided if it'd be viable
to call for a change to approval voting for the general election as
well.  I'll save that for a future response (and please weigh in with
your thoughts)

I'll send a more detailed response later, I think...

Rob