[EM] IRV / RCv advances

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Jul 14 07:08:37 PDT 2018

Hello all, Robert in particular.
Re point 1.
I forget which, but there is an official (STV) election that counts an
x-vote as a first preference. Those, who don't want to change, don't
have to. But those, who do, can rank their choices beyond one order of
choice. This is not a problem of a learning difficulty,  beyond the
difficulty of learning consideration for others.
Re. 2.
Agree completely about score voting. I can't help but feel approval
voting is essentially a rebranding of cumulative voting. In about 1867,
John Stuart Mill knew it was only a trifling improvement on plurality
counting but at least opened peoples minds to alternatives.
Re 3.
Weighted Condorcet pairing arguably offers a back-door that partly gets
round the Laplace criticism of Condorcet pairing, that it does not
establish the relative importance of higher and lower preferences, in
the over-all election count.
I see Condorcet pairing primarily as a research tool for
cross-referencing the results of an at-large election with the results
from sub-elections of one-to-one contests or less minimal partitions.
Ideally, we would have an election system that does not have to watch
its back for a Condorcet paradox.
Even an admittedly crude election like IRV (Alternative Vote), according
to this group, has only come-up with the Burlington case. That may have
been politically unfortunate. But, if about 150? elections have not
suffered the paradox, that incidence is not statistically significant.
The real comparison is how many "Bush beats Gore minus Nader" contests
are there? And how many simple plurality elections make voters act as
their own returning officers in an implicit ranked choice election,
where the voter excludes his first preference for Nader, and counts it
for second preference Gore?

Re 4.
Thankyou, Robert for the thankless task of reading my book or manual on
the subject. It took me 14 years to develop FAB STV, on top of a
lifetimes study of voting method. It is bound to be unfamiliar to readers.
The key to understanding the FAB STV procedure is that one thing leads
to another, starting with the Meek method keep value. It is a logical
succession of steps each required for greater consistency. All this
hugely complex system is to fulfill this guiding purpose of
representation to higher degrees of statistical accuracy.
I can answer questions. I did think of outlining the FAB STV thread of
logic. But I found myself leaving out key explanations, to not get
bogged down in details.

Re 5.
You are way ahead of me, on administration of the new electoral system.
You are completely right. There is no chance of its political adoption
in the forseeable future. Brian Meek did not live to see Meek method
adopted for official elections in New Zealand.
Re 6.
In a multi-member constituency, a voters fifth choice may be more liked
than his first choice in a single member constituency, such is the
expansion of choice and comprehensiveness of representation. This was
why HG Wells specified the three conditions: proportional representation
with the single transferable vote in large constituencies.
It is not ranked choice that is the problem but the fixation on single
winner elections, that do not have to be more than minimally democratic.

from
Richard Lung.