[EM] "Mutual Plurality" criterion suggestion

Greg Dennis greg.dennis at voterchoicema.org
Fri Jul 6 08:40:38 PDT 2018

I've been thinking about this property more recently, and I'd like to offer
what I believe is an equivalent formulation of it. I'm not saying this is
_the_ way it should be expressed, but this formulation helps me see the
importance of the property:

Consider a set S of candidates such that the following is true. For every
candidate C outside of S, exclude all the ballots that express indifference
between C and all the candidates in S (i.e. C+S all equally ranked, perhaps
left off the ballot altogether), more than half of the remaining ballots
(aka the "relevant ballots"), prefer every member of S to C. If there
exists an S, the winner must come from S.

Do you agree this is equivalent or have I missed something? If so, I like
how this formulation reveals the "majority" threshold lurking inside the
original formulation, and to me makes the name Mutual Relevant Majority
tempting.

--
*Greg Dennis, Ph.D. :: Policy Director*
Voter Choice Massachusetts