[EM] British Columbia voting-method reform

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Wed Jan 17 09:57:10 PST 2018

On 1/17/2018 5:45 AM, Greg Dennis wrote:
 > It will be interesting to see which methods ultimately make it on the
 > referendum ... and which method they use to choose the winner of the
 > referendum :)

I was told that the choice would be done using IRV (instant-runoff
voting)!  Ironically that's not one of the options.  Of course that's
because it's not a proportional method, which is clearly their primary goal.

For anyone not familiar with Canadian politics, they have more than two
main parties, which makes their election results unpredictable and
surprising, especially regarding party proportionality.  That's why
election-method reform is likely to occur in Canada before it occurs in
the U.S. (which is similar to what happened for women getting the right
to vote).

Richard