[EM] Majority Approval Filter (MAF) - Draft 3

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 15:37:10 PST 2018

Hi Rob,

You discussed a lot of complicated stuff.  For a public proposal, I think
you should consider that it probably needs to be made as simple as possible.

Referring to your final goals for MAF:

Ted also wrote:
> > Unfortunately this method does require a recount, but you can get A1,
> > A2 and B with just a single summable count (accumulating the pairwise
> > array of votes for candidate i when candidate j is not approved), and
> > in subsequent counts, that pairwise array can help find both C and D
> > if necessary.
> This is the part that I need to admit my inability to know if a system
> is summable or not.  I know what summabilty is[1], and I agree it's
> important, but I guess I don't yet know if these goals for MAF are
> possible in combination:
> 1.  Ensure the candidate with the highest approval score (the Top
> Candidate) advances to the general election
> 2.  When no candidate gets greater than 50% approval, limit the
> candidates who advance in a MAF election to two
> 3.  When the Top Candidate gets less than 50% approval, ensure that a
> very strong opposition candidate is selected, rather than a clone of
> the Top Candidate (maximizing the Ballot Satisfaction Score)
> 4.  Ensure the resulting system is summable across voting precincts
> Can we retrofit summability onto MAF, while still also only picking
> two candidates when no candidate gets over 50% approval?

In reverse order:  it is possible to tabulate the array W[x,y] in a
summable manner, where W is the approval for X when Y is not approved.
Then for a given Approval Winner A1, the complementary approval winner is
the candidate with highest value in W[*,A1] (excluding W[A1,A1]).  Call the
complementary approval winner B.  Then Approval[A1] + W[B,A1] , call this
TA[A1,B], gives you the number of ballots that approve of either A1 or B.

I think it would be appropriate to have *at least* A1 and B as runoff
candidates when A1 has approval <= 50%.  I think we agree on that?

The only remaining question is whether you want to include more
candidates.  If TA[A1,B] is not sufficiently large, it seems that you would
want to look for the approval winner on ballots that don't approve of
either A1 or B.  It would not be practical, currently, to tabulate an array
to find that winner summably, therefore you would have to make an
additional count.  So if summability is an issue for you, that's the best
you can do.

The more I think about this, the more I think that we really need to step
away from calling MAF, or any first round of a two-round election, a
"primary".  It would be better to have a fairly robust single-winner
election with a runoff contingency.  That would have the advantage of
putting more stakes on the first round, and getting voters to pay attention
to the candidates.  When viewed as a primary, many voters currently don't
bother to do their homework, if they participate at all.

So I think that you could add another goal for MAF, or any other
up-to-two-round method:

5. Let the stakes on the first round be high enough so that there is a
> reasonable chance for a single winner, with no runoff.

This line of thinking has led me to re-examine Kevin Venzke's Improved
Condorcet Approval (http://nodesiege.tripod.com/elections/#methica), which
is "nearly" Condorcet and is, I think, more of an improvement on Approval
that retains FBC compliance than a Condorcet method.

Using 3 ratings (Preferred, Approve, Disapprove), with Kevin's original
"tied-at-top" defeat rule, there is the potential to find a "near"
Condorcet winner while FBC is satisfied, with burial resistance.  As part
of a general-election + contingency runoff method, you could use it as

1.  If the ICA winner has > 50% approval, they win outright.
2.  If the ICA winner has <= 50% approval, have a second round with the ICA
winner, the overall Approval winner (if different), and the ICA winner's
approval complement.
3.  In the final round, also use ICA.

I think this would have my desired effect of increasing the stakes for the
election.

I'm debating whether including the strict Condorcet winner (if one exists
and is different from the first round ICA winner) would be useful or
counterproductive.