[EM] IRV failure modes, vote splitting

Greg Dennis greg.dennis at voterchoicema.org
Fri Dec 21 22:08:50 PST 2018

Public data from virtually all of those elections are here:
https://www.rankedchoicevoting.org/data_clearinghouse

There's a handful not available at that link but nearly all of those
winners had a majority of first choices. Admittedly, I think there's still
a few in the intersection of (no public data) and (no majority of first
choices). The few without public data I think are largely (or all?)
hand-counted. When they're optically-scanned, it's been common practice for
the jurisdiction to post the cast vote records online.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 11:42 PM <fdpk69p6uq at snkmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 11:33 PM Greg Dennis wrote:
>
>> I think we may need a better theory to explain why IRV elects the
>> Condorcet candidate with near-perfect frequency in practice. We're now
>> somewhere around 215 IRV elections in the US since San Francisco started in
>> 2004, and Burlington 2009 is still the only case.
>>

> How do you know it elected the Condorcet candidate?  All of the ballots
> are public for all of those elections?
> ----

*Greg Dennis, Ph.D. :: Policy Director*
Voter Choice Massachusetts