[EM] pairwise comparisons

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 18 20:48:13 PDT 2018

Curt,

Yes, an individual voter with cyclic preferences is confused and
inconsistent.

> Or is the Smith Set an accurate depiction of the electorate’s actual views?

In answer to that  question I would say accurate but not necessarily
complete or fully adequate.

Voters should be allowed to truncate and probably a lot of them will and
the cycle examples produced
by them doing so are much more plausible-looking to me than those where
all the voters rank all the
candidates.

6: A
5: B>C
3: C

A>B 6-5    B>C 5-3    C>A 8-6

All the candidates are in the Smith set.

Say we infer rating from ranking by interpreting ranking below no other
candidate as Top Rating and ranked above
at least one candidate as Approval. (I think many would find that
reasonable and natural.)

Top Rating scores: A6 > B5 > C3.     Approval scores: C8 > A6 > B5

B is positionally dominated by A and has the lowest approval score.

6: A
5: B
3: C

Assuming that we always elect A here (with all the voters truncating)
then electing B in the first example is a
failure of the Later-no-Help criterion, rewarding easy outrageous Burial
strategy.

Also electing B is a failure of the Plurality criterion, which says that
B isn't allowed to win because A has
more first-preference votes B has any sort of (above bottom) votes.

Although B is in the Smith set no method I consider good or acceptable
will elect B.

MinMax (Margins)  elects B.

(Ranked Pairs, Beatpath and River are all equivalent to MinMax when
there are only three candidates.)

Chris Benham