[EM] Voter satisfaction measure in a general case?

Magosányi Árpád m4gw4s at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 01:33:16 PDT 2017

Hi,

I am looking for established methods to measure voter satisfaction for
Condorcet votes, where the result is available, but no data on the utility
function.

I understand that it can be measured by assigning an utility function to
each voter, and see how close the result came to that utility function.
However I could not find anything on how to construct that utility function.

My thoughts:
 - I would use a "satisfaction index"
 - The best choice have 100% satisfaction index (I am okay with
disregarding the fact that even that might not be 100%)
 - If there is a dummy choice (e.g. "I disagree with anything I rank below
this"), than that one is 0%, and the worst ranked is -100%
 - If there is no dummy choice, then the worst ranked is 0%

Now what should the function look like for the choices in between?
- Linear (as it is easy and middle ground)?
- Logarithmic/exponential (as choices might mostly near good solutions or
mostly bad)?
- Gaussian (as we are talking about Bayesian regret)?
- Result of some clever computation based on vote statistics?