[EM] Let's play Jenga!

Ross Hyman rahyman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 8 06:24:28 PDT 2017

Well, it doesn't satisfy LIIA.A>B, B>C, A>D, B>D, C>A, D>CThe ranking is B>C>A>D.Remove D and the ranking becomes A>B>C.

    On Sunday, October 8, 2017 7:31 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de> wrote:

 On 10/07/2017 10:28 PM, Ross Hyman wrote:
> Hi Kristofer,
> I found Warren Smith's votedesc.pdf document on M. Schulze's site:
> http://m-schulze.9mail.de/votedesc.pdf
>
> This is a great document.  I think it should be on the Election Methods
> website, especially since most of the other links to election method
> descriptions are broken.
>
> The variation I am proposing to Warren's Maxtree method is to constrain
> the form of the spanning tree to a directed chain (or whatever the
> official name is) A>B>C>D....  and then maximize the minimum link.  I
> haven't had time to think about it too much but I am hoping the method
> will satisfy local independence of irrelevant alternatives.
>
> What's up with the election methods list?  I have not seen my posting or
> your response to it on the archive, which is what I read.  I don't get
> the emails.  The last posting in the archive is from Sept 28.
>
> Best,
> Ross

electorama.com has had some problems with its mailing list
administration lately. First the election-methods list disappeared from
http://lists.electorama.com/listinfo.cgi some years ago, and then this.

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
states

"Note:The archive search index was last rebuilt at Friday, 29 Sep 2017
21:39:45 PDT. Any postings after that will not be found by a search.
Index rebuild is usally done once every 24 hours for this list. You can
use a "View by date" link below to access more recent postings. "

So it seems like some kind of scheduled program has stopped working.

Since the electorama server has had problems in the past as well, it
might be an idea to move it elsewhere... Same with the electorama wiki;
both could use some maintenance, it seems like; although I haven't
recently checked if the TeX problem has been fixed.

On-topic, it could be interesting to have a proof of what kind of
chain/DAG methods satisfy LIIA. LIIA doesn't have to imply clone
independence because Kemeny passes the former and fails the latter, at
least.