[EM] Minmax ranked method

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Wed Nov 8 10:40:33 PST 2017

On 11/07/2017 03:55 AM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> Subject: Re: [EM] Minmax ranked method
> From: "Kristofer Munsterhjelm" <km_elmet at t-online.de>
> Date: Mon, November 6, 2017 7:36 am
> To: rbj at audioimagination.com
> "EM" <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
>
>> On 11/06/2017 08:02 AM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

To reduce the confusion, let's call the method Simpson (which is another
name for Minmax Condorcet), and call the other types of methods
"veto-friendly" (from the example I gave).

>> In the Minmax Condorcet method, what you're taking the minimum of the
>> maximum of is the Condorcet matrix. The Minmax method chooses the
>> candidate with the weakest (minimal) greatest (maximal) defeat, i.e. the
>> candidate who loses the least one-on-one to the candidate he loses the
>> most to.
>
> and that is the same candidate who is chosen by  RP (margins) and by
> Schulze (margins).

Only for three candidates. For instance, Schulze and RP are cloneproof,
but Simpson is not; e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_of_clones_criterion#Minimax

>> When there's a Condorcet winner, that CW doesn't lose to
>> anybody, and so he's the winner of the Minmax method since you can't do
>> better than not losing at all.
>
> i understand there is no issue (with any of those 3 methods: Minmax, RP,
> Schulze) when there is a CW.  my specific question was about the case
> that there is no CW and a Smith set of 3 candidates, which i think is
> the Rock-Paper-Scissors scenario.

When there are only three candidates, then RP and Schulze give the same
result as Simpson. When there are more candidates but a Smith set of
three, then RP and Schulze might give a different result from Simpson.
In Wikipedia's clone example above, the Smith set is {B1, B2, B3} (three
candidates), but Simpson elects A.

Also, Simpson probably isn't a good candidate for a veto-friendly method
since it's more majoritarian than even a proportional method. E.g.

51: A>B>C>D>E
25: F
24: G

Simpson's social ordering would be something like A>B>C>D>E>F>G, but
electing the four highest ordered for a multiwinner election would elect
{A, B, C, D}. In this particular election, a better result for a method
that's aiming to represent everybody would be {A, B, F, G}, which is
what a proportional representation method would provide.