[EM] Updates on 3-2-1 and GOLD (minor rule adjustments)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 09:03:58 PDT 2017

This raises a larger question: should the inventor of a voting method be
able to change the rules without changing the name? Once a proposal is
public, who owns it — the inventor or the public?

I don't think the answer is always clear-cut. If I wanted to redefine 3-2-1
to be something totally different, that wouldn't be OK. If somebody else
wanted to use the name 3-2-1 for something substantially the same, but with
minor rule changes, I might talk or argue with them about whether their
rule changes were a good idea, but I think I'd probably still let them use
the name.

But for smaller rule changes, I think it's OK for the inventor of a method
to make adjustments.