[EM] Resume: Proportional multi-winner ranked voting methods -

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 13:40:27 PDT 2017

Here are some more thoughts on grant allocation methods with varying grant sizes.

First one very simple method. All trustees propose an ideal allocation of grants. The total sum of money that is to be allocated is divided in n parts of equal size (n = number of trustees). Each part is allocated to projects as proposed by the corresponding trustee. These allocations are summed together to find the total amount of grants to each project.

Then a method that provides results that are quite similar (not the same) but is very "Condorcet style". Let's take CPO-STV as our starting point. In Electorama (http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/CPO-STV) the comparison of a pair of options is described as follows.

1. Eliminate all candidates who are not in either outcome.
2. Transfer excess votes from candidates who are in both outcomes.
3. The number of pairwsie votes for an outcome is equal to the sum of votes for the candidates in that outcome.

Let's replace that part with the following algorithm.

1. Each vote (Vi) allocates some sum of money (Vij) to each candidate/project (Cj)
2. Both compared options (allocations), O1 and O2, are similarly allocations of money (O1j, O2j) to each candidate
3. For each vote and each candidate, the amount of guaranteed money is Gij = min(Vij, O1j, O2j)
4. The remaining strength of each vote is ( 1 - (sum over j of Gij) / all_money )
5. Vote Vi supports O1 (with the remaining strength) if ( sum over j of abs( Vij - O1j ) ) < ( sum over j of abs( Vij - O2j ) )
6. Vote Vi supports O2 (with the remaining strength) if ( sum over j of abs( Vij - O2j ) ) < ( sum over j of abs( Vij - O1j ) )

There may be any kind of restrictions on what kind of allocations are "legal". Only such options (O) will be considered. There could be e.g. limitations on the smallest and largest sum that can be allocated to a project, or on the number of supported projects, or maybe only amounts divisible by 1000 would be allowed. Votes need not, but could follow the same rules.

The method uses some Condorcet method to pick the best option (O), just like CPO-STV. Since the number of different options is large, it may be good to use some Condorcet method that can evaluate options locally, like Minmax that can evaluate one option by comparing it to some other strong options. The proposed method is quite straight forward, so it is not difficult to find local optimums (best options when compared to some known other option). Simple heuristics/algorithms that can search local optimums and compare only them (without listing and comparing all possible options) may provide good results. An alternative approach is to compare all those options that different people / interest groups propose as possible outcomes of the method (within agreed time limits, e.g. 1h after latest best identified option). I'm not sure yet on how efficient one can be with respect to finding the global optimum.

In addition to using a Condorcet method to find the best option (as in CPO-STV), the method is Condorcet-like also e.g. so that if all money is to be allocated to a single project, the method picks the project that is the Condorcet winner, when rankings are derived from the given ratings (= money allocations).

I didn't cover any strategic voting related aspects. I instead assumed that although the trustees disagree on how the grants should be allocated, they are not so competitive that they would try to cheat the method (in order to force an outcome that they personally like more than the fair result produced by the algorithm).

Juho

P.S. I made a small Excel (actually Mac Numbers) file to test the behaviour of the comparison algorithm (available via email on request).