[EM] fully proportional representation with single member districts

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Jul 12 20:50:45 PDT 2017

lotsa problems...
    "Each voter registers with a party."
so a voter-applicant who does not identify with or wish to be identified with any party is disenfranchised?
    "For party A's primary, the country is divided up into N
districts with the same number of Party A members in each district (This could be done through an automated scheme). The same is done for each party. ...   For a party that gets one seat, the entire country is one district. For a party that gets two seats, the country will be divided into
two. But the dividing line can be different for a different party with two seats, since the distribution of party members will likely be different for both parties."
wow!  considering the bloody slug-fest redistricting is already, that seems to multiply the cost in money and in
blood.
    " In this system party membership needs to be public "
well, we sorta have that now, which i think violates voters' privacy.  many states require prior registration to a party before the primary.  my state does not.
i work the polls and
in the presidential primary we have to ask the voter coming in the door, what party ballot they want, and no one likes that.  for the statehouse primary, we give them three ballots and tell them they can only vote in one.  and they have to toss the other two.  but their privacy is
still a little violated because the different party primary ballots are colored differently and the official that is watching the voting machine (and ballot box) to make sure each voter only inserts one ballot into the machine can see the color of the ballot.  (this really should be done
differently.  in my opinion, if space allows, it should be a single ballot with clear instructions to mark votes in only one party's section and, if the voter violates that, it spoils their ballot.)
but the thing i like least about this, Ross, is the implication that, for the elected
office, each voter is limited to only candidates in that voter's registered party.  we should have the right to vote for a candidate we might like better than the one our own party chooses.
regards,
r b-j