[EM] How would you fix California's top two primary?

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Jan 11 22:22:23 PST 2017

On 1/12/2017 4:19 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> That goes a bit too far in the other direction. Consider a profile like
> this:
>
> 99: A B
>   1: C
>
> It seems pretty clear that the candidates to go to the second round
> should be A and B, but Approval-and-removal will pick either {A, C} or
> {B, C}. Of course, the real world probably won't have this kind of
> pathological election situation, but the bias is still there to a lesser
> degree: it disproportionately picks "extremists" for the second seat
> (i.e. candidates whose voters wouldn't vote for the first winner).

Presumably just as in normal (vote for one candidate) Top Two Runoff,
there doesn't
have to be a second round.

If the most approved candidate A is approved on more than half the
ballots then just
elect A.

Or you could reweight the ballots that supported A to something above
zero, so that
a faction with a big enough majority is able to fill both runoff spots.

Chris