[EM] What is the goal of a "better" election method?

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Jan 10 11:37:23 PST 2017

Good question, Sennet.  In my opinion the
most important goal is to give candidates who
want to win a strong incentive to take
positions responsive to voters' preferences
on many more issues, so that lobbyists for
wealthy special interest minorities will get
their way on far fewer issues.

With traditional primitive voting methods,
many voters choose among the candidates based
on one or a very small number of issues.  For
example, a significant number of voters in
the U.S. base their votes on candidates'
positions on the abortion issue, and it
doesn't matter much to them what the
candidates will do on other issues. This
leaves the candidates free to serve special
interest minorities on most issues (for
example bank regulations).  Candidates can
win election by cobbling together an
electoral majority coalition based on just a
few issues. (The coalition can even consist
of minorities on those few issues, because
several minorities can add up to a majority.)

In theory, a voting method that elicits all
pairwise majorities and pays attention to the
majorities' sizes (affirming the larger
majorities' pairwise preferences when
majorities cycle) ought to meet the goal.
Here's why: Suppose candidate Smith takes
position X on some issue, and a majority of
the voters prefer position Y over position
X.  The risk for Smith is that some other
candidate, say Jones, will enter the race,
taking position Y and copying Smith's
positions on all other issues, because in
that event a majority would tend to prefer
Jones over Smith... even if it's an issue
such as bank regulations that most voters
don't care about much (relative to other
issues).  The more unpopular X is compared to
Y, the larger the majority who should prefer
Jones over Smith. (If the issue is
one-dimensional and Y is the voters' median
position, then the further X is from the
median, the larger the majority who would
tend to prefer Jones over Smith.)  Given a
voting method that elicits all pairwise
majorities and pays attention to their sizes,
why would Smith risk taking an unpopular
position, if Smith wants to win?

A flawed argument often made by proponents of
proportional representation methods is that
representativeness, by definition, requires
proportionality.  But that's not the only
possible definition, and proportionality is
really only a means to an end. Suppose the
end is to have a legislature that produces
policies similar to the policies the voters
themselves would produce in a
well-functioning direct democracy. (By
"well-functioning" I mean voters somehow
aren't too busy to represent themselves, and
they choose policies using a voting method at
least as democratic as the Robert's Rules
"pairwise single elimination" majoritarian
method for voting on motions and amended
motions.)  In other words, the closer a
legislature's policies are to the policies
the people themselves would choose, the more
representative is the legislature.  With this
definition of representativeness, a
non-proportional legislature may be more
representative than a proportional
legislature.  A legislature elected using a
voting method that gives candidates a strong
incentive to take majority-preferred
positions on many more issues would be very
representative.

--Steve