[EM] The Global Fight For Electoral Justice: A Primer

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 03:58:42 PST 2017

Erik
Thank you for your kind words and your comments.  Just a very brief response, on referenda.

With regard to referenda for electoral reform, I would not want to see any country use the New Zealand format, i.e. FPTP for
multiple options.  At least in PEI they used IRV  -  though many on this List would no doubt argue they should have used Condorcet.
(Maybe the result would have been the same in this case  -  I haven't attempted to check.)

Interestingly, all the electoral reform changes the UK in (comparatively) recent years have been to introduce some form of PR
(closed list, regionalised MMP, STV-PR) and all were imposed by the relevant government after a vote in the relevant parliament
(government majority).  Not a referendum in sight until the appalling debacle over the Alternative Vote  -  that was set up to fail.

James

---