[EM] Proportional multi-winner ranked voting methods - guidelines?

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Thu Feb 23 20:45:40 PST 2017

Subject: Re: [EM] Proportional multi-winner ranked voting methods - guidelines?

From: "Toby Pereira" <tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk>

Date: Thu, February 23, 2017 5:09 pm

To: "rbj at audioimagination.com" <rbj at audioimagination.com>

"election-methods at lists.electorama.com" <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>

> I suppose it depends what you want from a multi-winner election. A faction of 51% could command all the seats if you did it that way.

yes, i know that.  but, OTHER THAN GEOGRAPHIC division of the constituency into  groups (we might call those divisions "districts" or "wards"), i can't see how a government can legitimately divide the constituency into groups based on race or ethnicity or
gender-preference identity, just to get proportional representation.  we can't have folks in Greenwich Village registering as gay or straight so that the gays get their allotted proportion and the straights getting their proportion.
the alternative is that we elect someone to office even
though *more* of us voters explicitly mark our ballots that we prefer someone else.  that's the whole point behind Condorcet compliance.