[EM] (3) ?goal of a better election method?

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 06:53:01 PST 2017

HI Kevin,
Message: 2
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 19:20:34 +0000 (UTC)
From: Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>
To: steve bosworth <stevebosworth at hotmail.com>,
        "election-methods at lists.electorama.com"
        <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
Subject: Re: [EM] goal of a better election method

K: Ok, I read the entire .pdf.  I don't think the "half the manipulability" claim is related to slide 150.

S:  Sorry, I did not mean that this claim is explicit on slide 150.  Slide 150 only again refers to the more limited scope for “manipulation” offered by MJ‘s social grading function (SGF) in contrast to any method using “point-summing” which allows “all voters [to] manipulate:  “If the mechanism is a point-summing method (the mean with respect to some parametrization), for almost all profiles, all voters can manipulate.”

Before slide 150, slide 142 promised that: “We are going to prove that majority judgement is strategy-proof for a large class of utility functions. When it is not, it is shown that it combats manipulations in many well defined senses”.

However, on page 15 in Chapter 1 of B&L’s book (Majority Judgment, 2011, MIT), they verbally illustrate why the above claims are true.  I will quote this passage shortly but please correct me if I am mistaken in seeing it as making the following simple point:  Using MJ for the French election, a voter honestly would give Royal a grade of at least “good” and Bayrou less than “good”.  If she tries to manipulate the result, she has practically no chance of increasing the probability of Royal being elected simply by giving Royal a “very good” or an ”excellent” instead, and giving Bayrou a “poor” or “reject”.  Whether she votes honestly or manipulatively, each candidate’s “median-grade” will almost certainly remain the same.  She would only have the best chance of changing the result if she instead were to give Royal a grade lower than “good” and Bayrou “higher” than “good”, i.e. voted in a way diametrically opposed to her own honest evaluations of the candidates, presumably not her desire:

Page 15:  “How could a voter who graded Royal higher than Bayrou manipulate?  By changing

the grades assigned to try to lower Bayrou’s majority-gauge and to raise

Royal’s majority-gauge. But the majority judgment is partially strategy-proof in-

ranking: those voters who can lower Bayrou’s majority-gauge cannot raise

Royal’s, and those who can raise Royal’s majority-gauge cannot lower Bayrou’s.

For suppose a voter can lower Bayrou’s. Then she must have given Bayrou

a Good or better; but having preferred Royal to Bayrou, the voter gave a grade

of better than Good to Royal, so she cannot raise Royal’s majority-gauge (cannot

raise her p). Symmetrically, a voter who can raise Royal’s majority-gauge

must have given her a Good or worse and thus to Bayrou a worse than Good;

so the voter cannot lower Bayrou’s majority-gauge (cannot increase his q).

Compared with other mechanisms, the majority judgment cuts in half the

possibility of manipulation, however bizarre a voter’s motivations or whatever

her utility function. The majority judgment resists manipulation in still other

ways that other methods do not, but to see how requires information found

in voters’ individual ballots ….”

S: With regard to B&L’s claim to offer an exact mathematic “proof” that MJ reduces by about “half” the scope for “manipulation” as that offered by the “point-summing” methods, can you please explain your own view of this claim.  More exactly, do the following quoted passages merely restate the above explanation by using only pure mathematic notations, or do they mathematically provide us will the exact relevant number close to one half?  Either way, I would very much appreciate it if you would help me to fully understand the case B&L make in their book in the pages leading up to pp.197-8 which contain the following formulaes:

“For, a priori, a judge who manipulates wishes to increase the final grade with probability ½ and wishes to decrease it with probability ½.  And, a priori, any one of the n judges may cheat.  Thus, when the input of grades is r, the probability for a judge to manipulate successfully when using an SGF with aggregation function f is

(1/2) (μ− (f (r)) + (1/2) (μ+ (f (r)) =  (μ (f (r) )

                      n                                         n                       2n

p.198:  “One would like this probability to be as small as possible in the worst case; this amounts to finding an f that solves

 min   max_   μ (f (r)) =  min μ (f ).

   f     r = (r1,...,rn)                          f

that is, minimizes the manipulability.  Thus the minimum probability is slightly over one-half, n+1/2n, and is only achieved when f is an order function.”

S:  Also, how exactly does the above relate to Laraki’s slide 170:  "Given an aggregation function f and input r = (r1, . . . , rn), let

μ−(f , r) = nbre of judges who can decrease the final grade,

μ+(f , r) = nbre of judges who can increase the final grade,

Let • = probability a judge wishes to increase the final grade. The

probability of effective-manipulability of f is

EM(f ) = max        max_     • μ+(f , r) + (1 −•) μ−(f , r)

             r = (r1,...,rn)      0≤ • ≤1                          n

S:  I can send you the above formulaes as an attachment if they have been scrambled by your inbox.

K: Leading up to slide 150, [Laraki] argues that *if* your goal is simply for candidate X to get a grade of 7, then under order functions like MJ, your best strategy is to rate that candidate a 7. Under Range this is not true, because if that candidate is sitting at a 1, rating him a 10 would drag him towards a 7 rating faster than just rating him a 7 would. There is no "half" to be found here; it doesn't seem that any SGF could outperform MJ on this measure.
On slide 158 they describe the concept of being "partially strategy-proof-in-ranking." This means that if the relative order of two candidates' final grades is not to the liking of some voter, that voter may be able to adjust the grade of one of the candidates, but not both. "One and not two" seems promising as something that has been cut by half.

S:  Does your last phrase indicate that you now accept the validity of B&L’s claim that MJ “cuts” manipulation in “half”?

K: Then on 163 they say that order functions are the only SGFs that have this property.
What do you think, is there a better suggestion for something that has been halved? I would sort of hope so because if the answer is always either "one candidate" or "both candidates" that means there are only two outcomes for a test we're taking as a representation of manipulability under SGFs.

S:  I hope to understand the point you are making here after receiving your help and comments on all the above.  I look forward to your feedback.

Steve

      De?: steve bosworth <stevebosworth at hotmail.com>
 ??: "stepjak at yahoo.fr" <stepjak at yahoo.fr>; "election-methods at lists.electorama.com" <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
 Envoy? le : Dimanche 19 f?vrier 2017 3h03
 Objet?: [EM] goal of a better election method

Message: 2