[EM] (2) “goal of a better election method”

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 18 08:05:28 PST 2017

From: Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:41 PM
To: steve bosworth; election-methods at lists.electorama.com;
Subject: Re: [EM] “goal of a better election method”

Hi Kristofer,

S: Thank you for your helpful suggestions and carefully detailed analysis of my suggestions.
Again, I look forward to your feedback.

K: I suppose the concern that comes most clearly to mind is that MJ is not
meant to be a cardinal method, whereas using averages introduces a
cardinal (numeric) element.

To rephrase that, all that "plain" MJ knows about is that there's a
common standard among the people where

Excellent is better than Very Good
Very Good is better than Good
Good is better than Acceptable
Acceptable is better than Poor
and Poor is better than Reject.

It doesn't know what the common standard *is*, however.

S:  But of course MJ counts each “grade” given to each candidate by a voter at least as if it was given “honestly” according to each voter’s judgment of the extent to which each candidate comes close to that voter’s idea of an “excellent” candidate for the office.  In this limited B&L sense, each of these “ideas” is “absolute” rather than “relative”, i.e. capable of be defined using a common language.

K:  To use a school grading metaphor, it knows that A is better than B, but
not that