[EM] Fwd: Ordering defeats in Minimax

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 05:45:03 PDT 2017

I think I basically agree with Juho on this. The plurality criterion sounds like a reasonable criterion on the surface, but think about it more and it's arguably less so. To summarise, in a pairwise method, first place on a ballot doesn't hold any special status, nor does indeed last place (or joint last place or "unranked"). And a criterion shouldn't be used to impose an approval cut-off on a method that doesn't have one in its definition.
So while it sounds like a good criterion, removing the special status of these positions means that we are left with just saying that a candidate who pairwise beats another candidate should finish ahead in the overall ranking. Which is what all Condorcet methods do - except when there's a cycle.
Toby