[EM] No Wasted Votes

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Apr 2 06:00:36 PDT 2017

On 03/25/2017 05:38 PM, steve bosworth wrote:
> Re: No Wasted Votes
>

> To Everyone:
>

> Because I want a more complete democracy, I want to explain: “How Each
> Citizen’s Vote Can Fully Count in the Legislature” – no votes wasted.
> Using California’s legislative Assembly as an example, the system I call
> Associational Proportional Representation (APR) would allow each citizen
> to guarantee that their one vote will be added to the “weighted vote”
> in the Assembly of the elected member they trust most.   The details of
> exactly how APR would work in practice are explained in the article
> which I will email to you upon request (stevebosworth at hotmail.com).
> However, please let me briefly describe it below.  Your feedback would
> be very much appreciated.

I've been very busy of late, so I haven't been able to respond to your
other mail, but I'd like to note a few things.

- You could use MJ instead of IRV. Since APR prior to weighting is
basically "elect candidates by IRV a bunch of times", and you've stated
that MJ is better than IRV, APR should be better if you replace it with
"elect candidates by MJ a bunch of times". All you need is another way
of counting which voters contributed to which candidates' election. My
party list-type Bucklin method will do the job, for instance.

- Due to the cloning problems I've mentioned before (e.g. Libertarian
example), it's advantageous to a party to field multiple candidates and
spread the votes among them, because doing so will push competing
candidates with less support off the council, in effect reducing their
weight to zero. If everybody does that, you get plain old STV. So it's
not clear that weighted votes buys you anything in the face of strategy.

(E.g. two seats:
X1: weight 100
X2: weight 100
is preferable to
X1: weight 200
Y1: weight 80
from the point of view of party X, because the former outcome pushes
party Y off the council entirely.)