[EM] NEO change. Cohort vs combo.

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:34:16 PDT 2016

I'm changing NEO's dfn in one regard:

Plain NEO:

If 1 candidate wins at Approval Nash equilibrium, s/he wins.

If more than 1 do, then re-apply the above paragraph to them, with only
them in the count.

Repeat till there's only 1.

If, at any stage there is no Nash Equilibrium, or everyone wins at Nash
equilibrium, the most top-ranked candidate wins.

I defined a cohort as a set of voters who prefer and vote the same. My Nash
equilibrium definition uses that.

I define a "combo" as a set of voters who share at least 1 pairwise
preference.

Cohort or combo could be used. When I say NEO, I refer to the cohort
version.

In the situations of interest (for the properties I want), the only
difference between cohort & combo is that, in the chicken dilemma
situation, cohort elects C, and combo elects A.

People at EM prefer C. That's an advantage for cohort NEO.

I don't know of a reason to use combo NEO instead of Smith//MMPO, since
both elect A.

Michael Ossipoff