[EM] Example with tie in Schulze method but not in IRV (small correction)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Sep 15 17:28:48 PDT 2016

Something else interesting about this example:

First write out the five individual ballots

 BCA
 BCA
 CAB
 ABC
 ACB

In the spirit of Dodgson find which (if any) simple preference reversal(s)
will produce a ballot set with a (ballot) Condorcet Winner:

Candidate A becomes a CW if any of the three CA pairs is reversed.
Candidate B becomes the CW  if either of the two AB pairs is reversed.
Candidate C becomes the CW if any of the three BC pairs is reversed.

No other single reversal will create a CW, i.e. neither simple reversal in
the last ballot ACB will create a CW.  However, in that ballot if the AC
pair is reversed, then candidate C becomes the beat-path (and Borda)
winner.  And if the CB pair is reversed, then candidate B becomes the
beat-path (and Borda) winner.

So the appropriate lottery to break the Dodgson tie is
   37.5%A+ 25%B+37.5%C

And the appropriate lottery for breaking either the beat-path or Borda tie
is
   30%A + 30%B + 40%C

[all under the assumption that a random tie breaker is desired]

Also, it is interesting that the Dodgson lottery expectation is preferred
over the sure A option by the first three ballots, assuming equally spaced
utilities.

Sure candidate B is preferred over the Dodgson lottery on the first two
ballots, liked less on the two ballots where it is ranked bottom, and
equally on the other ballot. (so a tie)

Candidate C is preferred over the Dodgson lottery on the first three
ballots, but not on the other two.

One might also consider the Random Ballot ("benchmark") lottery as a tie
breaker:

40%A + 40%B + 20%C

If we use the "Toby" transform to convert the ballots to weighted sums of
approval ballots, and then use random approval, we get

[31(A+B)+28C]/90, which is very close to "random candidate"  (A+B+C)/3 .

Whom would the US Supreme Court choose?

Answer: the one most connected to wealth and power.

Best Wishes,

Forest