[EM] Fwd: Fwd: U/P voting: new name for simple 3-level method.

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sun Sep 11 13:05:47 PDT 2016

43: A
24: B>C
23: C>B
10: D

On 9/11/2016 4:21 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> I think that scenarios like the above are fundamentally pathological;
> any possible winner has only minority approval, so that even assuming
> all ballots are semi-honest, any of them could be a true Condorcet loser.

C: I can't see anything "pathological" about the "scenario". The ballot
set can be taken at face value.  Presumably the A and D supporters
simply aren't interested in any candidate
other than their favourites, while the B and C supporters form a tight
coalition. And B is the clearly voted Condorcet winner.

Just because you can imagine that with less truncation some other
candidate could have been the Condorcet winner doesn't mean that the
scenario is in any way "pathological".

> J: Thus, I believe that it's more important for a system to try to
> avoid scenarios like the above, than to try to find a perfect winner
> in such a scenario.

But there isn't  (or shouldn't be) anything difficult about finding "the
perfect winner" in the scenario. B is the plainly voted Condorcet
winner.  An Approval-like method
might mistakenly elect the "similar" candidate C, but  A and D are out.

And if I agreed that a system "should try to avoid" such a scenario, I
can't see how it could (allowing 4 candidates and using ballots with 3
or more ratings slots).

> 43: A
> 40: B>C
> 6: C>B
> 1: C
> 10: D
>
> J:... I think that a case can be made for either A or B. After all,
> they'd be tied if we try to approximate Score by using truncatable
> Borda here. But no serious case can be made for C or D, even though C
> wins MTA and MCA.

The pairwise-dominant B,C coalition is still intact.  Without the
irrelevant D ballots it has more than half the votes. B is still the CW,
C is the most approved ("accepted", voted above bottom)
candidate. B is also more approved than A. That adds up to no case for A.

> J: After all, they'd be tied if we try to approximate Score by using
> truncatable Borda here

C: In my opinion that is a bizarre and very weak standard. Those methods
don't even meet Majority Favourite, and Borda has other problems.

> J: But no serious case can be made for C or D, even though C wins MTA
> and MCA.

C:  C is the most approved candidate and pairwise beats all the others
except B, and all of B's supporters approved of C (which arguably
somewhat weakens any post-election complaint
they might make, since MTA and MCA  are quasi-Approval methods that
aren't advertised as meeting the Condorcet criterion.)

Another 3-slot FBC method I think we should be comparing with these
three is  3-slot TTR,TR  (aka" ICT").  The algorithm is probably too
complicated to interest Jameson
as a practical reform proposal, but it meets Chicken Dilemma and
"Majority Condorcet" and easily elects the CW in the recent examples.

> J: One possible alternative default rule: ballots alternate between
> defaulting to "acceptable" and to "unacceptable". Each ballot clearly
> states which default it uses, and there is a place on the ballot to
> globally change that default. (I doubt Chris will like this idea, but
> it is at least straightforward, explicit, and easy to describe.)

I'm strongly of the view that the voters shouldn't have to bother
explicitly marking candidates they rate as unacceptable. I suggest a
ballot instruction something like:

"Among candidates you find acceptable, mark however many you like of
your favourites as Preferred and the rest as Acceptable".

However, if there was a concern that someone might get access to the
ballots after they're cast and before they are counted and alter some by
adding marks to
candidates the voters left unmarked, then that could be justification
(or a pretext) for a draconian Australian-style solution with a ballot
instruction like:

"Mark each candidate as one of  Preferred, Acceptable, Unacceptable.
You must mark every candidate."

Then ballots that don't mark every candidate are declared "invalid" and
have no effect on the election result.

One more semi-sane alternative is to have a ballot instruction like the
Australian-style one but make the default "acceptable" under MTA and MCA
and "unacceptable"
under U/P but in each case with a weight of  one half in the counting.
(But of course that doesn't completely remove the incentive for some
cheater to add marks to
ballots).

Chris Benham