[EM] (3) MJ -- The easiest method to 'tolerate'

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Sep 5 14:02:47 PDT 2016

On 09/05/2016 10:30 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> Lately, I favor DA, as being the simplest to explain and the most
> intuitive to reason about for most people. I expect that the majority of
> voters would prefer a single candidate, and use a rough approval
> strategy for disqualification (that is, disqualify one frontrunner and
> anybody worse.) The good thing is that cooperation is stable in DA in an
> iterated chicken dilemma scenario; the prospect of tit for tat
> retaliation is enough to discourage brinksmanship strategy.

Quick response: I seem to recall B&L saying that in their polling data,
Approval responses showed sign of many voters using what I've been
calling "scenario 3" reasoning, i.e. relative ranks (where rated/graded
systems would fail IIA). They then argued that this means you have to
have a properly phrased ballot to get the voters to consider grading
against a common standard rather than ranking relatively, and more
specifically, that Approval's two grades were not sufficient to do
permit that kind of mindset.

If that's true, then there's some kind of threshold of number of grades,
below which there aren't enough grades for the ballot format to
encourage grading against a common standard. So three-slot methods would
have to be tested to see if voters would vote grading-style or
relative-rank style with three grades, or if three grades are still too few.