[EM] [EM (1)] Tolerating: MJ, HMJ, GMJ, SARA, or MAJORITY SCORE

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 05:31:15 PDT 2016

To-KristoferHMJ-1

________________________________

To Kristofer and everyone,

Thank you for your quick response.  I would like better to understand why you say that ‘MJ … doesn't make any assumptions about how far away Excellent is from Very Good or Very Good from Poor’.

I read Balinski and Laraki as saying that these grades are elements of a ‘common language’ through which each voter can meaningfully express his or her evaluation of each candidate.  People who understand that language, in the light of their own concept of Excellence, can meaningfully also judge the differences between the remaining 5 grades of candidate.  They at least see that a candidate they judge to be Very Good as less worthy than their Excellent candidate, and Good less worthy than Very Good, etc.  Consequently, B&L and I would say, for example, when one candidate has received a majority judgment composed of some Excellents and/or Very Goods, as well as ‘median-grades’, and a 2nd candidate has received a majority judgment composed entirely of grades equal to the ‘median-grade’ of the 1st candidate, society has judged that the 1st candidate should win.  Society would be more ‘satisfied’ when the 1st candidate wins.

In this context, it seems to me that HMJ’s averaging of ordinal scores is meaningful.  It is meaningful without anyone claiming that the value ‘distance’ between each grade and the next one above it or below it is exactly equal.

At the same time, B&L would make the point that while your following 2 examples are in one sense mathematically similar, only the 1st one takes advantage of the findings of experience and empirical research that most people can meaningfully use no more than 7 grades:

‘… if you ran MJ with the following assignments:
Excellent = 5
Very Good = 4
Good = 3
Acceptable = 2
Poor = 1
Reject = 0

‘you'd get the same result as if you ran it with these:

Excellent = 1000
Very Good = 800
Good = 500
Acceptable = 100