[EM] XA

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 21:01:35 PDT 2016

> Jameson--
>
> The Name "Majority-Score" isn't nearly descriptive enough.

The highest average score among those given a score by a majority? Would
you prefer "minority-rejected score"? (I'm not saying I'd rename it to that
solely on your say-so, but if various people prefer that name I'd probably
take up the suggestion.)

> I like "SARA" much better. Yes, the letters are out of order, but that's
> ok, because "Abstain" is signifiantly different from the other ratings.
> "Support", "Accept", and "Reject" all cast a vote for or against the
> candidate. Support & Reject also give points.  Abstain does nothing, and
> that distinguishes it from the others, justifying having it last in the
> acronym.

Actually, the rating that's qualitatively different is "reject". The other
three are effectively just numbers. In Majority Score, I've changed the
labels to be:
support, assist, accept, reject
rather than:
support, accept, abstain, reject.

I think that "abstain" was a misnomer, given that an abstention counted
against rejection and reduced average score. Doing two "opposite" things
isn't the same as doing nothing; it's still strictly nicer than "reject"
and strictly meaner than the other middle rating (which was "accept" and is
now "assist").