[EM] [CES #15135] Renaming SARA to "majority score"

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 20:47:49 PDT 2016

> Jameson,
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to abuse rule 2 to cause chaos?
>
> For example, I change someone from "accept" to "reject", which would
> trigger his elimination.  But if he is the last candidate with over 50
> points, that triggers rule 2 to be skipped entirely, resurrecting (him and)
> one or more other candidates, which changes the winner.  IIA violation?

No. You lower X from accept to reject; X was the only non-eliminated
candidate over 50 points, so X was the winner. So, by lowering X, you
change the winner from X to not-X. That's perfectly monotonic; nothing
wrong with that.

(It might be that you actually preferred X over not-X. In which case you
should have voted X above not-X if you really cared about that distinction.
Since you failed to do so, you can't really complain.)