[EM] SARA voting: easier-to-describe MAS

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:25:14 PDT 2016

Not having that prize-dollar isn't great disutility.  The situation most
likely is exactly as satisfactory for you with or without that dollar, and
that's why you're so willing to gamble it for $1000.

Taking the dollar from the homeless man is quite different. Then it's a
matter of going from bad to considerably more seriously bad. The loss of
his dollar is a lot more than your spending a dollar for a lottery-ticket,
when you don't really miss the loss of a dollar.

Spending your rent money on lottery tickets would be a better example.

The willingness of people to risk their lives on a fairground-ride says
something about how they rate the utilities of the disaster & the  fun.
That's all it says. To each their own.

And the fact that the homeless man chose to be on the wrong end of the
economic system?  ....Oh wait, he didn't choose it. Nor did he decide to
enter a lottery with a small probability of being a billionaire and a much
larger probability of being homeless. And when a lottery for high
probability of disaster in return for a tiny probability of a huge reward
is available, people very rarely take it.

People riding a fairground ride do enter a lottery for a tiny risk of
losing everything, for a small payoff. But people don't show willingness to
enter lotteries with a high probability of something really bad, in return
for a tiny probability of something extravagantly desirable. (Like spending
your rent money on lottery-tickets).

In the former case, the probability of disaster is small. In the latter
case, it's large.

It's a more than a little callous to say that hurting a homeless person to
help a billionaire is ok. But that's what BR-minimization or VSE
maximization, presented as a measure of social-rightness, says.

Lotteries are used to judge utilities. They don't say or imply what you're
trying to use them to say.

Michael Ossipoff

Michael Ossipoff