[EM] SARA voting: easier-to-describe MAS

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 07:28:39 PDT 2016

Also, a given amount of money is worth more in utility to a poor person than a rich person, so Michael's analogy of taking a dollar from a homeless person and giving it to a billionaire doesn't work. I know he gave a previous example where the billionaire gets a yacht or something and it does get more debatable at that point.
But I don't think the maximum minimum utility is necessarily even the best principle to use anyway. There are good arguments for maximising average utility. If I am given 100 dollars, then there is an amount of money that I would gamble that for on a coin flip, or where I'd call them equivalent. Let's say I decide that I'd gamble it for anything more than 300 dollars. That's the same as me saying that for me the difference in utility between 0 and 100 dollars is the same as the difference between 100 and 300 dollars. It is also equivalent to saying that if there are two people with the same utility ratings as me, it's as good to give one of them 300 dollars as it is to give each of them 100 dollars. (Obviously you can argue about loss of utility through envy and perceived unfairness, but that's a separate issue - you don't need to tell the loser what happened.)
I have the same intuitions about rich/poor people, but you need a logically consistent framework as well as intuitions.