[EM] SARA voting: easier-to-describe MAS

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Tue Oct 25 09:40:32 PDT 2016

On 10/25/2016 4:47 AM, Michael Ossipoff wrote:

> When sincerely-voted Approval chooses differently from Condorcet, it's
> choosing socially better.
>
> (Jameson wrote):
>
> But even if they do win under honesty, they will probably lose under
> "semi-honest offensive strategy" (SHOS) in which the stronger wing
> truncates the CW to equal-bottom.
>
> (endquote)
>
> In rank methods, we've been calling that offensive truncation.
>
> In Approval, I don't regard it as an offensive strategy at all. In
> Approval, the middle CWs doesn't need support from both sides, as s/he
> does in general pairwise-count methods.
>
> The larger wing isn't the one that needs the CWs, if you're after the
> best particular candidate you can get. But you're talking about a
> strategy problem that shouldn't concern voters in Approval.

Mike,

Given my selection of quotes above, I find your negativity on
Smith//Approval  (very similar to Max Covered Approval) a bit inconsistent.

A couple of somewhat relevant questions:

(1)How often is a sincere Condorcet winner who is supported by the
smallest of three factions of voters the Approval winner?

(2) How often is the Approval winner not in the Smith set?

And so what is wrong with Condorcet//Approval?

> Jameson:-In Condorcet systems, the CW wins under honesty by
> definition. But under SHOS, any CD-compliant method gets the wrong answer.
>
> Mike: No. In wv, a CWs isn't vulnerable to truncation. S/he still
> wins. ...the right answer in such a method.

  But Winning Votes isn't a "CD-compliant method" .

Jameson wrote:

> Support Accept Reject Abstain voting works as follows:
>
>   * Voters can support, accept, reject, or abstain on each candidate.
>     Default is abstain.
>   * Call a candidate "acceptable" if they are rejected by 50% or less
>     and supported or accepted by over 25%. If any candidates are
>     acceptable, eliminate all who aren't.
>   * Give remaining candidates 2 points for each "support", 1 point for
>     each "accept", and half a point for each "abstain". Highest points
>     wins.

I still hate default being anything other than bottom/"reject", and the
"25%" figure looks arbitrary.

With the default rule as it is, it looks like the method fails
Mono-add-Plump.

Say the winner X has a lower point score than some other candidate Y
that is barely rejected by over 50%. Then adding some ballots that do
nothing
but "support" X could raise the 50% threshold enough so that now Y is no
longer eliminated and wins.

Chris Benham