[EM] MaxMinPA

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 12:35:13 PDT 2016

Having been discussing Approval strategy when there's no top-set, and when
it's 0-info, I should re- emphasize that there most definitely _is_ a
top-set for progressive voters in this country.

And our official elections aren't really 0-info. In a recent post here, I
spoke of evidence regarding who's CWs, and who can beat whom.

But, for most voters under current conditions, it _is_ 0-info, because the
"information" from the mass media is unreliable, and that's an
understatement. The corporate media from which most people get their
"information" is intentionally, systematically, consistently, & routinely
disinfomational, in the interest of the 1%.

So, voting instructions to the public should be 0-info instructions.

The primary fact about conditions for strategy, in our elections, is the
top-set/bottom-set nature of the elections, at least for progressive
voters. They (we) should approve (only) our top-set, all of the progressive
candidates. (If the elections were legitimate & if we had Approval-voting).

If there are some voters  who don't have a top-set, then, for them,  the
more general 0-info strategy applies.

...such as the merit-median Approval-cutoff, or Forest's sum/max
instruction.

Michael Ossipoff
On Oct 20, 2016 4:41 PM, "Forest Simmons" <fsimmons at pcc.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> CWs-protective strategy doesn't apply.
>>
>> Even if there were one, approving down to it, if it's in your bottom-set,
>> would be suboptimal, and un-tempting.
>>
>> If the CWs is in your top-set, then should you refuse to Approval anyone
>> you like less, &, in particular, should you plump if that CWs is your
>> favorite?
>>
>> No. As an individual strategy, it's best to approve your entire top-set,
>> to maximize Pt.
>>
>> ...even though you might be tempted to choose among your top-set.
>>
>> But, as a _group_ strategy, that might not be so. Say you aren't
>> majority-favored (MF), and maybe aren't in a mutual-majority (MM) at all.
>>
>> Then (I'm assuming a 1D political spectrum) the CWs isn't your favorite,
>> and hir voters prefer someone you like less than hir to those you like more
>> than hir.
>>
>> Say that the CWs is at the far edge of your top-set.
>>
>> You'd like hir voters to plump, just as you'd like other voters on your
>> side of hir to not approve past hir.
>>
>> But then you're asking them to vote  suboptimally, if your request
>> contradicts my top-set voting advice.
>>
>> But maybe it would be best, for the group (the voters on your side of the
>> CWs) as a whole, to have such an agreement.
>>
>> Besides, though individually suboptimal, if the CWs's voters plump, they
>> get something for it, because they're helping their   favorite against
>> their other top-set candidates.
>>
>> Suboptimal, but not without some potential reward.
>>
>> Part 2 will follow.
>>
>> Michael Ossipoff
>> On Oct 20, 2016 12:52 PM, "Forest Simmons" <fsimmons at pcc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Very kind of you to suggest "Simmons" for this method, and I certainly
>>> don't mind associating my name with it, although every idea in it owes much
>>> to input from you all, especially Chris Benham, Michael Ossipoff, Kevin
>>> Venzke, Kristofer M, Jameson Q, Andy Jennings, Jobst Heitzig, Joe
>>> Weinstein, Craig Layton,Warren Smith, Toby Pereira, Rob LeGrand, Rob
>>> Lanphier, Richard Moore, Bart Ingles, Rick Denman. Steven J Brams, Steve
>>> Eppley, Francis Edward Su, Sylvia Owl, Adam Tarr, Alex Small, Stephane
>>> Rouillon, Craig Carey, Dave Ketchum, Douglas Greene, Blake Cretney, James
>>> Gilmour, Jan Kok, Josh Narins, Steve Barney, Joseph Malkevitch, Olli Salmi,
>>> Gervase Lam, Elisabeth Varin, Mike Rouse, Donald E Davison, Markus Schulze,
>>> Martin Harper, DEMOREP1, Buddha Buck,  David Catchpole, Anthony Simmons, James
>>> Green-Armytage, Kathy Dopp, Juho Laatu, and too many more to mention.
>>>

>>> If it turns out to have a serious Achilles heel, I will disavow the
>>> whole thing!
>>>
>>> When Approval doesn't elect the CWs, there are several possible excuses,
>>> among them ...
>>> (1) lack of information
>>> (2) too much disinformation
>>> (3) poor approval strategy by the CW supporters
>>> (4) sincere reflection of the intensity of support
>>>
>>> To elaborate on (4),  if the preference profile is

>>> 35 B=C>D(90%)