[EM] MaxMinPA

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:40:54 PDT 2016

It should be MMPO, rather than Smith//MMPO, for one finalist-choosing
method, and Approval, Inferred-Approval, or Score for the other, because
MMPO, Approval, & Score meet FBC.

If Plain MMPO were replaced by anything else, Weak CD would be lost.

If, for the other finalist-choosing method, Approval, Inferred-Approval or
Score were replaced by MAM or Beatpath, then both finalist-choosing methods
would share the same strategic vulnerabilities.

Michael Ossipoff
On Oct 18, 2016 1:42 PM, "Forest Simmons" <fsimmons at pcc.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> ranking, & the Approval count used a separate set of Approval-marks?
>>
>> Would that make it easier for Chris's pushover strategist?
>>
>> What other positive & negative results?
>>
>> One possible disadvantage that occurs to me is that overcompromising
>> voters might approve lower than than necessary, if the approval were
>> explicitly voted.  ...in comparison to their ratings-which tend to soften
>> voting errors.
>>
>> So far, it appears that the initial proposal is probably the best one.
>>
>> Michael Ossipoff
>> On Oct 17, 2016 1:49 PM, "Forest Simmons" <fsimmons at pcc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Kristofer,
>>>
>>> Perhaps the way out is to invite two ballots from each voter. The first
>>> set of ballots is used to narrow down to two alternatives.  It is expected
>>> that these ballots will be voted with all possible manipulative strategy
>>> ... chicken defection, pushover, burial, etc.
>>>
>>> The second set is used only to decide between the two alternatives
>>> served up by the first set.
>>>
>>> A voter who doesn't like strategic burden need not contribute to the
>>> first set, or could submit the same ballot to both sets.
>>>
>>> If both ballots were Olympic Score style, with scores ranging from blank
>>> (=0) to 10, there would be enough resolution for all practical purposes.
>>> Approval voters could simply specify their approvals with 10 and leave the
>>> other candidates' scores blank.
>>>
>>> There should be no consistency requirement between the two ballots.
>>> They should be put in separate boxes and counted separately.  Only that
>>> policy can guarantee the sincerity of the ballots in the second set.
>>>
>>> In this regard it is important to realize that optimal perfect
>>> information approval strategy may require you to approve out of order, i.e.
>>> approve X and not Y even if you sincerely rate Y higher than X.  [We're
>>> talking about optimal in the sense of maximizing your expectation, meaning
>>> the expectation of your sincere ratings ballot, (your contribution to the
>>> second set).]
>>>
>>> Nobody expects sincerity on the first set of ballots.  If some of them
>>> are sincere, no harm done, as long as the methods for choosing the two
>>> finalists are reasonable.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, no rational voter would vote insincerely on hir
>>> contribution to the second set.  The social scientist has a near perfect
>>> window into the sincere preferences of the voters.
>>>
>>> Suppose the respective finalists are chosen by IRV and Implicit
>>> Approval, respectively, applied to the first set of ballots.  People's eyes
>>> would be opened when they saw how often the Approval Winner was sincerely
>>> preferred over the IRV winner.
>>>
>>> Currently my first choice of methods for choosing the respective
>>> finalists would be MMPO for one of them and Approval for the other, with
>>> the approval cutoff at midrange (so scores of six through ten represent
>>> approval).
>>>
>>> Consider the strategical ballot set profile conforming to

>>> 32  A>B
>>> 28  B
>>>
>>> The MMPO finalist would be A, and the likely Approval finalist would be
>>> B, unless too many B ratings were below midrange.
>>>
>>> If the sincere ballots were
>>>
>>> 40 C
>>> 32 A>B
>>> 28 B>A
>>>
>>> then the runoff winner determined by the second set of ballots would be
>>> A, the CWs.  The chicken defection was to no avail.  Note that even though
>>> this violates Plurality on the first set of ballots, it does not on the
>>> sincere set.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, if the sincere set conformed to
>>>
>>> 40 C>B
>>> 32 A>B